Contrasting and Complimenting colours- part 2

Please excuse the bad photos! It was difficult to try and photograph myself and keep everything lined up, so as it was about the colours I felt as long as you could see the effect it would be acceptable. I only had a navy blue blanket and pale pink blanket to use as a plain coloured background, and I hung them over the washing line to try and create the required effect. I didn't have space to dance between my camera setup and my background, so I took still images instead. If we were to use this technique for the performance video, this is a problem that would need to be resolved. 
The first background I used was a Navy one. In the picture above, I used a neutral coloured top. I did this so that there was a base image that we could compare the other images too. I think this looks effective together and neither distracts from the other.
This image shows me in a Navy top on a navy background. I like this effect, as its a dark colour and personally my complexion is quite pale so it makes the dark colour look bolder. However, if the shirt was long sleeved my arm movements may be lost whilst dancing as the background and top would blend in. 


In this image I have worn contrasting colours, of a baby pink top with a navy background. These are colours that do compliment each other, however I feel this combination doesn't work as the darker background colour appears to drain the colour in the foreground, making it appear white rather than pink.
This photo showcase my Baby pink top on a baby pink background. I still feel that the baby pink top does seem drained , albeit only slightly by the background. In my opinion though, especially for this example, it works as this makes the pinks appear like two complimenting pinks. This effect may not be as effective in other, bolder complimenting colours.
I really like this contrasting colour! It seems that a darker foreground and lighter background makes the object, or subject, in the foreground appear as the main focal point. This way round for the colour combination seems easier to observe, and draws the spectator into the piece. 

 This is the neutral top on a different coloured background. The neutral top has worked on both coloured backgrounds so far, and I think the performer would still remain clear to observe even if the top was a different style.

Comments

  1. I love this idea so much! It shows how much effort you have put into this blog post, as you've taken time to think about what colours work well together and then find outfits to represent this. I'd love to work with this idea as a whole group and see the outcome from everyones background

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts