Zero Degrees analysis

 

After watching Zero Degrees by Akram Khan and Sidi Labri Cherkaoui, it is clear to me that both artists have worked collaboratively to create this piece of work. This is because the artists tell a story about a man on a journey and the problems he faced using movement and speech. Both artists move and speak in complete sync with each other, which reveals to me that the artists worked extremely well together in order to achieve such accuracy. I find this piece of work interesting because the way in which both artists are so in sync with each other creates the impression that they are one, although they appear to be from different cultures. This piece of work inspires my thinking around collaborative practice as it reminds me of the isolated body part pieces we started to work on, as the movement in Zero Degrees is isolated and gestural. Therefore, to develop our isolated body part pieces, we could add moments where we speak in sync with each other.

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed watching Zero Degrees! I agree it is clear the artists have worked collaboratively as they are both perfectly in sync with each other. The text is lengthy, and it is clear to the audience with intonation- whereas sometimes if people are speaking in unison it can become flat and "robot like". The performers must have spent lot of time working on this together. I think it is a good idea to experiment with, and develop our isolated body part phrases using speech as it would add an additional layer to our work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts